Monday, December 1, 2008

Getting Kids to Practice Part 2

Practice can be either a fight or a joy. I personally would like it to be joyful. Like I have said in an earlier post, it is hard to get my kids out to practice. There is always something “better” or more “fun” to do. I think that if the farm/arena where we keep our horses were in our backyard it wouldn’t be as hard, but you use and do what you can. Anyway...I have learned in the past that if I have to fight with them to get them to practice that it just isn’t fun anymore and I hate it as much as they do. So I have come up with some things that I do to make it fun for them instead of work.

1. I let them know in advance (way in advance) that we will be leaving for the farm at a certain time. I try to make it a time that doesn’t interfere with what they have planned. We usually go out to ride at 5:00 p.m. in the summer.

2. I invite their friends to practice with us. This is the BIGGEST and easiest way to get them to come out and ride. If their friends are there, they want to socialize. They will want to ride. It turns into a fun time for all. Even if they don’t “practice perfect” they are having a fun time doing what they do.

3. The last thing that I have found to be successful is to have some type of reward system. If they practice good and don’t argue for X number of days they get something (candy bar, soda, movie rental, etc.)

These are ideas that work for me and my kids, hopefully they or some version of it works for you.

2 comments:

  1. The best way to get kids to practice is to invite other kids. Those always have more fun as a group. It also makes them more competitive during practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the kids having friends over to practice. It sure does motivate them to practice a lot more.

    ReplyDelete