Monday, March 16, 2009

Rodeo is not an Event - It is a Lifestyle

by Teresa Fackrell

We were practicing roping on Sunday. During the winter in Utah, we have to ride indoors. So we have to haul the horses, the cows and all of our equipment to the indoor arena.

We spent over 4 hours between practicing and hauling horses, kids and cattle back and forth. This is what our life consists of constant practice, chores and traveling to the next rodeo.

We were having dinner on Sunday night with my brother and sister in law who came down to help. As we discussed the days events, my daughter says hey mom when are we going to get a new dishwasher? (Ours broke about a week ago.) My reply was well we have 2 rodeos to enter in March and several more in April. So probably not until next fall.

That is when my sister in law and I both laughed. Rodeo is not an event. It is even more than a sport. It is a lifestyle. You have to live it to understand it. I really had no idea how involved it is until my kids started living it. You sacrifice the nicer things in life to make it to the next rodeo.

Some may think we are crazy and we probably are. We love what we do. We are very close as a family. My kids have learned some amazing lessons about life, sacrifice, competition, and hard work through rodeo. I wouldn't change a thing. (Except to have lots more money to rodeo.)

2 comments:

  1. If you are Loving it, then you are not crazy. Life is about Loving what you are doing and being with the ones you Love. Thats why we do it too. In fact a guy from Michigan was dropping off some supplies for my husband today and he said, "Wow a real live rooster and chickens. You eat those?" I said, "absolutely." He said," and goats, cows, and horses." I said, "yep, If the economy keeps getting bad I will be able to eat and play still while the rest of you wonder when the store is going to get more food." He laughed but I wasn't I was serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a rodeo wife for 16 years now and love our lifestyle. I grew up as a "city girl" in a country town. As a kid I took dance, art, and piano lessons and played softball from the time I was 5. I thought I knew what it felt like to be part of a team or community. I was amazed when I started dating my husband at how positive and supportive the contestants are of each other. I knew my son would follow in my husbands footsteps when he feel asleep on his first new horse. Everytime we tried to take him off, he would wake up and start crying. He is 5 now, and has just started competing. Every sacrifice I have made to get him there is worth it when I see his smile in the arena and the smile on my husbands face! I love my family being part of something that teaches such great character and life lessons. My favorite Chris LeDoux song says "It's a mighty tough life, but I like it alright! And I wouldn't have it any other way!"

    ReplyDelete