Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Support Group

by Shauna Winter


I have decided there is no better support group than rodeo families. We went to our latest Central Utah Little Britches Rodeo and as I think back, I am so grateful for the friendships that I have made as a result of my kids being involved in the sport of rodeo.

Troy stayed in his trailer at the arena while the rest of us went and stayed in a motel. Troy was so good to feed and water the horses for us before we got to the arena. Thanks a ton! It was nice to have one less thing to worry about. Now before everyone goes feeling too bad for Troy…he does have a living quarters trailer. But seriously, by the time we got there, the chores were done.
Terrie and I decided we would save ourselves some money, so she drove and hauled the horses and I picked up the motel room. I thought it was a really good idea, until Kyla was sick all night Saturday night. Sorry Terrie! Terrie was also so very good to help my kids get old Molly Moo Cow saddled, unsaddled and put away. My husband wasn’t able to go, so I am so grateful to Terrie. Thanks again.

Racheal and Ashley were so good to Kyla. By way of explanation, Kyla is five. She wants to be a big girl so badly. I looked out when the kids were all warming up their horses, and there was Kyla riding with Racheal and Ashley. You girls really made her day! And thanks again Racheal for being willing to help make sure that she was ready!

To Coy…aka the surrogate father…thanks for all the time you have put in with my kids! Kyla hadn’t done goats before when she had to jump off the horse. Coy got her to watch so that she knew what she was doing. We are grateful for ALL that you have done for us. Also thanks so much for hauling the animals. We wouldn’t be able to have the rodeo without the stock and we appreciate your willingness to help!

Thanks to Teresa for just putting up with me! She gets to sit at the table with me ALL DAY! (I am not sure if “gets” or “has to” is the right word) I did bring some treats to make it a little more bearable. Just kidding Teresa, but I really am grateful for your friendship. Thank you for all the time that you put in for our kids. You make sure that everything is done on time and that the rodeo runs fairly smooth. Thanks!

I would like to thank Dallin, Troy, and Dan (and families) for the time they put in for our kids. Judging a rodeo CANNOT be that much fun, but I want you to know that we appreciate it! Also Troy, thanks for all you did to set up the roping on Saturday. It ended up being a great thing!

Edna, Lisa, Kendra, and Taunya—thanks for all of your help timing. More importantly, thanks for helping to keep me straight. You guys are the greatest!

Last but certainly not least, thanks to my husband. He puts up with a lot of crap and I am so grateful for him. He lets me follow the kids to the rodeos. He is usually there to be the stall boy even if it’s not his favorite thing. Thanks to Karlin for understanding so that Steve and I could split and go different directions with different kids. Thanks to Kass for all your help posting the results! And thanks to Kyla for making life fun. I love you all and don’t know what I would do without you!

This is true no matter what rodeo we are headed to. The support system in place is amazing! I just wanted to say thanks to everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Shawna I couldn't have said it any better except for it takes a great announcer to keep the rest of us laughing and smiling and enjoying our jobs especially at the end of a 12 hour day. I would agree the friendships and support make it worth every second. We have great kids and great parents that help us make great rodeos. Since Dan and I are always busy helping it is good to know that Coy, Brad, Shane, Houston, Reno, Jess, the list goes on and on, are always watching out for Zeak. Thanks to EVERYONE for making Rodeo Life Great!

    ReplyDelete