Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Volunteering

By Teresa Fackrell
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Winston Churchill



Although I work full time and have 2 kids to keep up with, I really enjoy contributing. I am not the type of person who can sit at a rodeo and just watch. So in addition to my full time responsibilities, I volunteer as much as possible. 

I teach 4H every Thursday, secretary for Central Utah Little Britches, jackpot secretary for Central Utah Junior Rodeo and put together the program for the Juab High School Rodeo team. The best part is knowing that what I do benefits the kids who are working, riding, roping and practicing hard each day.

For some moms, they may feel a little out of place at a rodeo. They may not know how to help. When I first started volunteering, I really had no idea how to do a rodeo payback. Someone knew that I worked with computers and was good at math. So they said can you help do our jackpots. Of course I said yes. But I still had to learn how to calculate the number of kids, the entry fee and the percentage to pay back. Now, I organize an entire rodeo.

Junior rodeos especially are made up solely of volunteers. The people timing, helping push cows, opening and closing the gate, and being the secretary are doing it to help the kids.

If you are at a junior rodeo and want to, just ask what you can do. Normally, all committees would really appreciate any additional help. Even if you don’t know what to do ask and someone will teach you. It really is a learn as you go thing. Even if you just help open and close a gate that frees someone else up to move cows or set up the barrels. So don’t be afraid to jump in. It will be greatly appreciated.


I also want to send many thanks to the volunteers. I am always amazed at the amount of time and dedication that people volunteer for junior rodeos. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment