Friday, September 18, 2009

Horses and Salt

By Kendra Sagers

Do you ever worry about your horse drinking enough when you are on the road? How about if he is getting enough salt from the salt block at home? I always wondered this as well.

So, what is the solution? I found it is really easy, especially if you are feeding your horse any type of grain and/or supplement. The answer is to actually feed your horse salt. I offer my horses at home a salt block and add loose salt to their feed ration. However, on the road I only take the loose salt. I feed about 1-2 tablespoons of salt each feeding. This amount depends on the size of the horse, how much they are sweating, and how much they are drinking. You can ask your veterinarian for a recommendation.

The salt I use is labeled for livestock and can be purchased quite inexpensively. This picture is of the salt I am currently feeding. It is a natural mineral salt, so it also supplies trace minerals. Plain table salt can also be used (I suggest the salt that is not iodized).

If my horse is not drinking enough on the road I will often add a bit of salt to the ration. The amount of water a horse drinks is directly related to the amount of salt a horse eats. I have found adding salt to the grain has been a great way to keep my horses healthier on the road and at home. This loose salt is convenient to haul. I put it in a small tupperware like container with a measuring spoon. If you are like me anything that will help keep my horse healthy and help prevent colic is a great investment. I hope this tip will help you out on the rodeo road.

No comments:

Post a Comment