Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Bull Riding Tips for Beginners

by Wendy Winn

Bull riding is a great sport. It is exciting, breathtaking, and extremely risky to the rider. Injury is very prevalent in this sport! Here are some tips that I would share with you as a mother if your boy would like to start.

1. First and foremost go to a school or clinic with a professional
2. Borrow some equipment until you really are committed
3. Make sure the equipment is safe and working
4. Find a place to practice on some good animals
5. Have a good time
6. As a mother you will be less nervous if you help prepare your children

My husband rode professionally for 8 years, and now both sons have taken an interest in bull riding. As a mother the most asked question is “are you scared”? The answer is no, I feel like my kids are prepared. They know how to get out if they are in trouble and they know how to land. Both Dixon and Shad can set their ropes if their dad is not there.

Bull riding is about hustle. You can’t over ride or you get bucked off. Bull Riding is jump for jump every time out of the chute. Other riders will tell you what to expect, but we feel like its better to just get on and make a ride.

Dixon is 16, and has been riding since he was 4. He is tall for a bull rider at 6’ 2”. He has to really hustle his legs and feet, because there is so much more gravitational pull for him. Naturally your chin should stay in the center of your face and perched down. Dixon uses his free arm for balance and to help him pull out of the well, if he gets there. The movement would project a reach with your arms and a pop or reach with your hips.

Shad is our 10 year old; he has been riding since he was 4 also. Shad is much smaller than Dixon and really can stay balanced. His free arm is always at our above eye level. Shad rides them naturally if he hustles his feet and is determined.

You have to be dedicated to be a bull rider and most of all there cannot be any fear! If you are scared stay in the rope pen! I can not stress that enough!

Good luck! Remember to come prepared and hustle!

8 comments:

  1. what crazy women or man would strap their children to 1200 pounds of wild bull!!!!! Are you crazy?? ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily I don't have to be a crazy mom my boys want nothing to do with riding bulls. In a way I am grateful but if they wanted to ride I would for sure take your advice and get professional training before strapping them to anything that I know will buck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son did bull riding for the first time Saturday night. He is 18 and did not need my permission. He has no experience at this sport and is riding again in July. We are NOT a rodeo family. We raise cattle but do not even have horses. He is a great kid but does not know what he is doing. I am scared to death and he does not have my blessing. What can I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely look for a clinic in his area. If he is going to do it, he needs to learn to do it right. There are a lot of things you need to know to do it as safely as possible. You need to know how to get away from the bull, what to do if you get hung up, and how to get out of your rope. You can check with your state High School Rodeo Association or local associations for coaches.

      Delete
  4. I would definitely look for a clinic in his area. If he is going to do it, he needs to learn to do it right. There are a lot of things you need to know to do it as safely as possible. You need to know how to get away from the bull, what to do if you get hung up, and how to get out of your rope. You can check with your state High School Rodeo Association or local associations for coaches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My youngest Lane is 6 and is riding calf's and my oldest is 9 and just bumped to steers - we work with them weekly between the bucking barrel and rodeo practice. They Love and are dedicated to this sport, it's definitely a family sport and effort from all of us from being behind the chute to being in the stands supporting them. Thanks so much for this blog, people who don't understand "bullriding" think I'm crazy for letting my boys ride but I'd rather them learn right at a younger age then go behind my back when their older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi may Name is Jason turner and I want to get back in to bull riding but I have no were to practice I'm no new comer to the sport so if any one has any I'dea were to go and practice I would love to no

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jason, What area do you live in? I would look for some youth rodeos in your area or some practice buck outs. Check with the local fairgrounds or arena and see if any of these events are scheduled.

    ReplyDelete