Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Good Place to Start

By Shauna Winters

I always knew that I wanted my kids to rodeo. As I look back, I realized what I missed out on because I was scared to be in front of a crowd. I helped out with things, but I never competed. Of course, Junior Rodeo was not the same as it is today.

My brothers had competed on the High School Rodeo Team. The team had a Little Buckaroo Rodeo each year as a fund raiser, so I always signed my kids up. Kassidy started at about 2 years old riding sheep. I can honestly say it was never her favorite thing, but Grandpa Jerry was a good sport and he would put her on and hold on to her for a little ways. She was usually screaming.

Then Wendy and Casy Winn started the Central Utah Junior Rodeo Series. I, of course, signed my kids up. I’m not sure who was more excited, me or them. W
e put them on my brother’s horse. He was only 2 and didn’t know the patterns or anything, but neither did my kids. We would run through the patterns with them, leading them, trying to get them to trot while they were screaming for us to slow down…..What a great time!

Kassidy got involved in the Queen contest. Now, Kass was one of those kids who did not want to draw attention to herself. She was perfectly content to sit back and be scenery. I could not believe the growth just from that experience. Of course, she was taking 4-H and learning other things to become more comfortable around her horse, but I couldn’t believe the way she came out of her shell. It was a very positive experience for her.

I always signed Karlin up to ride calves. I’m not really sure why, because I knew I didn’t want him to be a bull rider (my nerves couldn’t take it), but it was okay when they were little calves. My dad bought him and my nephew their riding gear. They got matching chaps and vests. They looked really sharp, and of course, we all know that’s the most important thing, right? Anyway, Grandpa Jerry was a pretty good coach and Karlin enjoyed it. He also began running barrels and poles and tying goats. He has been doing it for about 3 years now. Again, the growth that I have seen in Karlin is amazing.

Kyla is only 5 and has been competing for a couple of years. She has no fear. I am not sure that is a good thing, but she loves the rodeo. It is a great way for her to get used to being in front of people (which I’m not sure has ever been a problem for her). She begs us every day to go riding. She runs the barrels (just to feel the wind blow through her hair) and poles. Her patterns are not always pretty, but she usually gets the crowd going. And most importantly, she enjoys herself.

Junior Rodeo is a great place for the kids to get started. It helps to build their confidence and skills. I am grateful for friends and neighbors who are willing to help my kids, even when they are competing against their own kids. I am even more grateful for the great friends I have made along the way.

1 comment:

  1. My kids love to rodeo and it has taught them so much about responsibility, competition and accountability. It is a great place for them to learn.

    ReplyDelete