Monday, February 2, 2009

Funnel Barrel Patterns 2

by Kendra Sagers

As I promised, here are some more of the funnel barrel patterns. Again, use these patterns to work your horses to train, fix problems, or just to exercise. Be careful not to work any pattern excessively. There are a lot of possibilities with these patterns so be sure to shake it up a bit.

As a refresher from the last article, you can use cones, tires, or barrels as markers for these patterns. To work the patterns at a trot or canter I suggest 80' between the widest markers, 60' between the middle markers, and 40' between the shortest markers. Each pattern is discussed below.

This is the funnel pattern I call Outside Left or Right. This means you can work it in either direction. This pattern can be worked at a walk, trot, or slow canter, as with all other patterns start slow and speed up gradually as your horse is able. You can also remember that it is often a good idea to turn the barrel at a gait slower than you entered the barrel. For example, if you are at a canter entering the barrel drop to a trot to turn the barrel and then pick the canter back up as you leave. This helps the horse rate naturally. Only work this pattern at speeds where YOU are completely in control and able to maintain your horse’s body shape. Also remember to keep your circles around the barrels smooth and even.

I call this pattern Now and Then. This pattern helps you to work your horse on his circles, both large and small. The benefit to this type of pattern is that the barrels are not turned in sequence. You decide when to turn and keep your horse guessing and waiting for your cue. When working this pattern I suggest you do so on either a trot or a canter or a combination of both. You will begin by working a large circle around the funnel pattern. While working this large circle you can either follow the number sequence that I have provided or you can turn the pattern at random. Remember to maintain control, shape, and distance in this and all patterns. This pattern can also be worked from either direction and either end.

I call this funnel pattern Round About. It works your horse in both directions. This pattern will help keep your horse listening to you while working on your turns. Follow the sequence of numbers for the pattern zig zagging and turning every other marker. You should enter on the large end of the pattern and work barrels 1, 2, and 3. Then you exit the markers at the speed you worked between markers and follow the outside edge of markers, 6, 2, and 4. Enter the pattern again by working markers 4, 5, and 6. You can work this as a continuous pattern several times. I recommend using this pattern at the walk or the trot. Once you and your horse are fluid on it you can work at a canter.

I call this pattern Big and Small. This pattern can help you to keep control of your horse and to keep him guessing and waiting for your cue. Begin working this pattern in a large circle on the outside of the pattern. As you work around the circle to marker #1 turn it, then as you leave complete a full circle to marker #2 and then turn it. Follow this sequence through the rest of the markers. Feel free to circle the marker more than once if you would like. Also, you can break to a slower gait to turn the marker. When working it be sure to maintain control, shape, and distance from the markers. Because of the distances of the circles I prefer to work this pattern at a tort or canter, but will often break to a walk around the marker. Make sure you are in control and allow your horse plenty of room.

These are a few more of the funnel patterns that I use to help train, condition, and fix problems in my barrel horses. Again, I like these patterns because I can set the pattern up once and use it for several different exercises. It helps keep my horses fresh and listening to me. Be careful, though, not to work any one pattern too much. If worked excessively these patterns can also sour a horse. If you like these funnel patterns I will show you more in a later blog.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the patterns. It is good to change things up. I use to do things like this when riding in the hills I would use sage brush and create similar patterns. This was a great change from the arena yet still teaching and working with my horse. This kept them from getting sour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really helpful. I think we get in a rut of using the same things all the time. I am sure my horses get as bored as my kids.

    ReplyDelete